Friday 18 January 2013

Zakka-tack!

DSC_0810

I have admired from afar the Zakka style makes cropping up all over blogland, and have been lucky enough to have two beauties made for me

My fab sewing kit from Jan

DSC_0478

and my pen holder from Sarah

DSC_0097

But I have never fully understood what Zakka style meant, so I went investigating..... found the Zakka style book in the local library, and went googling.

According to Wikipedia.....

Zakka (from the Japanese 'zak-ka'(雑貨)or 'many things') is a fashion and design phenomenon that has spread from Japan throughout Asia. The term refers to everything and anything that improves your home, life and appearance. It is often based on household items from the West that are regarded as kitsch in their countries of origin, but it can also be Japanese goods, mainly from the fifties, sixties, and seventies. In Japan there are also so-called Asian zakka stores; that usually refers to Southeast Asia. The interest in Nordic design or Scandinavian design, both contemporary and past, is also part of this zakka movement. Zakka can also be contemporary handicraft.
Zakka has also been described as "the art of seeing the savvy in the ordinary and mundane". The zakka boom could be recognized as merely another in a series of consumer fads, but it also touches issues of self-expression and spirituality. "Cute, corny and kitschy is not enough. To qualify as a zakka, a product must be attractive, sensitive, and laden with subtext."

Mmmm now that's quite a tall order for a small handmade item. 

But with that book on loan, I obviously I had to have a go at making something.

Here's my first attempt

DSC_0807 With a bird theme DSC_0801

This is not for me, it's going on it's travels hopefully to improve 'home, life and appearance' for someone else!!

Right I'm off to practice "the art of seeing the savvy in the ordinary and mundane".

x


7 comments:

  1. Lovely box. Zakka style makes are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful box. You have done a brill job. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. good make! Love those birdies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely wee box.. I've got this book but haven't made n e thing from it just!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your box is gorgeous and good for you looking into the meaning of the whole concept! I really wanted to get that book ages ago but still haven't.

    ReplyDelete